Thursday

Wedding Band...WHY the left ring finger??

~written by Cendi Micor

Ever wonder WHY we wear engagement ring and wedding band on the ring finger of our left hand? Ever wonder WHY we wear the wedding band below our engagement ring when we actually get that AFTER the engagement ring?


~Photo courtesy of www.pricescope.com

In North America and the UK, the origin of wearing it on your left ring finger came from Ancient Egypt and Romans. It was believed that there is a vein in that finger leading directly to your heart. This vein is known as “vena amoris” , meaning “vein of love”. In England, it was on the ring finger because the groom would slide it partway up the thumb, index finger and middle finger while saying, “In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit”…then place it on the ring finger.

However, in Europe, many cultures wear it on the right ring finger. Some cultures wear it on the left hand when engaged, then switch it to the right when married. Some cultures wear it on the index finger.

As for wearing the wedding band below the engagement ring, some say it is because it is closest to your heart. Regardless…it should come down to your preference.


~Photo courtesy of www.my-weddingdream.com

Where and how do you wear your rings?

8 comments:

  1. This is so very gorgeous Ring. What an amazing wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank you guys for the fact behind the rings. I am glad to know them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am seriously loving that Ring photo!!!I feel like I've read this same piece on at least three other occasions... remember, original material!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't wear my rings on my left finger because I don't want to be hit on, I wear them there because they don't fit on my right hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! these pics are wonderful!!I don't know what exactly the issue is about!!But i really love the Ring...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So people who are facing torwards you can look on the right side and see the ring..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sincere thanks for spreading a very uncommon knowledge to everyone. I am happy to know the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to thank you for the same. Even i never thought that why it is been wore in the left.

    ReplyDelete